Monday, March 22, 2010

A State Beyond Words

A State Beyond Words
by Simin Behbahani

I am in a state beyond words.
I am another Simin today.
It's as if the sun has never shined before on my head.
It's as if the sky and I have always been strangers.
But, today, under this dark blue sky,
I have wings and feathers,
I am the doves' flying companion.
It's as if I have never opened the gate
to the flower garden.
Such freshness, such bloom,
overwhelm my credulity.
Am I drunk? No,
I haven't touched a drop.
But my heart- this pine cone- is happy,
filled with life.

Death is not that far away.
Since I cannot do my heart's bidding
tomorrow, from the mud
I will serve it today.
I am the short-lived lily, friend,
seize the time.
If you are not at my side today,
what use will it be tomorrow,
when I wilt?
I am a shining grape-cluster,
delicious from head to toe.
You trample my head with abandon,
unaware that I am more pleasing to the palate.

End this procrastination,
this land belongs to you,
this is your city and sovereign.

I wait for you, to lay my life at your feet.
O, kind one, your letters have come
to share my sorrows in your place,
each spreading before me a flowering meadow.
O skillful harpist, play in a different mode
for a different way.
This is the road to take, the way home.
This is all I have to say.



(All rights to Simin Behbahani. "A State Beyond Words" edited and translated from the Persian by Farzaneh Milani and Kaveh Safa)
From "A Window to Freedom, 1995 [1992]. 201-2.

No comments:

Post a Comment